With the recent unfortunate demise of Dumfries & Galloway Arts Association, many valuable assets have been lost. One such asset is the Music Bus, which visited schools and youth clubs all across Dumfries & Galloway. This allowed thousands of young people the chance to create and record their own music, which they would then take home on a CD.
The bad news is that the bus is no more, but the good news is that you can still have the Music Bus experience inside your school or youth club.
The Music Bus’ two main tutors John Dinning (since 2004) and Jamie Hall (since 2008) are able to recreate the five music workstations from the bus, complete with laptops and recording equipment, in your school or youth club for full or half days or evening sessions.
• No previous musical experience is necessary, but we have different levels of software available, allowing us to tailor sessions for people of all ages and abilities.
• We aim to help enhance young people’s understanding of music and open their eyes & ears to creative possibilities that they may not have come across before.
• We provide guidelines, not rules, creating a fun & adventurous experience for all.
• We encourage children to work in pairs on our five workstations, not only taking our simultaneous capacity to ten, but also promoting teamwork and sharing.
• Recurring sessions can allow children to learn sound engineering and production skills as they gradually progress onto more difficult and impressive tasks.
• Disclosure Scotland certified tutors. Public liability insured.
• Every participant takes home a CD with their own new creation.
The cost for a full school day is £240. All CDs, stationary & mileage is included, regardless of location.
The cost for a minimum two-hour session is £120. With all CDs, stationary & mileage included.
These costs are based on a rate of £40 per hour for two tutors; £20 to cover mileage, regardless of location, and a one off charge of £20 for administrative costs & stationary – this cost will be discounted from any consecutive or recurring bookings.
A discounted rate of £25 per hour for one tutor is available in special circumstances, please contact for details.
For further information please contact John Dinning on 07980340582, 01387850455 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This project is supported in principle by Alan Cameron, Music Education Officer & Kathleen Picken, Primary Music Development Officer, D&G Council.